CALL FOR PAPERS, BURSARIES AND BOOKINGS
I am writing to call for papers, bursaries and bookings for the inaugural SST Postgraduate Conference. The conference will take place at New College Edinburgh on Monday 5 December (12 noon to 5 p.m.) and Tuesday 6 December (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.) on the topic ‘Theologians and the Church’. Sponsored by the Society and the Trinity Forum, it will bring together the next generation of theologians to explore the relationship between academic theology and the worshiping community. Postgraduates from all traditions and none are invited to gather and discuss the role theologians play in the life of the Church, be it pastorally, educationally, or ecumenically.
The conference is *free* and some bursaries are available to cover travel and accommodation.
The plenary speaker will be:
Professor Graham Ward (Manchester)
A roundtable discussion will also include:
- Professor Oliver O’Donovan (Edinburgh)
- Professor Janet Soskice (Cambridge)
- Revd Dr Harriet Harris (Edinburgh)
Paper abstracts are to be 250 WORDS and related to the conference theme. The submission deadline is 31 OCTOBER. Papers will be allotted 20 minutes with 5-10 minutes for questions. Possible topics include (but are not restricted to):
- Theology in the pulpit
- The importance of tradition to theological reflection
- Relationship between ecclesial and professional spheres
- Historical evolution of the role of theology/theologians in Church life
- Ecumenism and missiology
- Theology and interfaith dialogue
- Apologetics, catechesis and education in the Church
- Discipleship and spiritual formation
- The pastor-theologian
- Church and theology in contemporary society
- Theology and Holy Scripture in the Church
- Theology and liturgy/worship
For bursaries, please indicate your point of departure and the projected expenditure unable to be covered by other funds.
To book, submit a paper abstract or enquire about bursaries, e-mail sstpostgraduateconference@
Please forward this message to postgraduates in your institution.
To download a flyer to display on your noticeboard, click here.